13th Annual CRFD Memorial 5K Run/Walk Results
The first CRFD Memorial 5K was held in 2001 following the on-duty death of Administrative District Chief Kevin Sterenchuk, who passed away in 1999 from sudden cardiac death. An avid runner, Chief Sterenchuk often competed in 5K races and was an instrumental chief for our department. In 1998, Chief Sterenchuk helped form the Special Operations program at the Cedar Rapids Fire Department.
At the time of his death, no program was in place to assist families of fallen firefighters. A team consisting of then Captain Dan Dall and Firefighter Rick Halleran decided to honor the memory and life of Chief Sterenchuk by creating a race that would raise funds to be used for the families of professional firefighters who have died throughout the state of Iowa. This race became even more important following the death of Firefighter Joe Brackel who succumbed to an aggressive form of lung cancer at the age of 24. In less than a decade, the race grew from 100 entrants in 2001 to more than 400 in 2010. Now under the direction of firefighter Nick Miller, this race continues to be a USA Track and Field sponsored event and is fast becoming a Memorial Day tradition in Cedar Rapids.
The 13th Annual CRFD Memorial Race will be held on Saturday, May 25 at College Community Schools’ Prairie High School. This 5K Race/Walk is a great event which had more than 400 participants last year. Proceeds from this event help fallen and sick firefighters throughout the state. You can
register online or download a printable registration form and mail it to or drop it off at 1010 1st St NW, Cedar Rapids, IA. For more information about the race, please contact Nick Miller at
319-286-5200 or email@example.com.
13th Annual CRFD Memorial 5K Run/Walk Details
When: Saturday, May 25, beginning at 8:30AM
Where: College Community Campus (Prairie High School), 401 76th Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
- Registration and Packet pick-up: 7–8:15AM
- Start of Wheelchair Race: 8:25AM
- Start of 5K Run/Walk: 8:30AM
- Jr. Firefighter Half Mile Fun Run: 9:30AM
- Awards will immediately follow the Fun Run
Cedar Rapids Fire Department
Race Director – Nick Miller
1010 1st St NW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52405
* Race will be run rain or shine with no refunds available. By registering for this race, you are assumed to be of good health. By participating in this race, you understand the risks inherent in any athletic event and are deemed to assume those risks. By participating in this race, you agree to hold the City of Cedar Rapids and its employees, the College Community School District and its employees, and all event sponsors and volunteers harmless for any injuries or damages arising out of this event.
(No refunds – t-shirts are NOT guaranteed after May 17)
- Pre-registration (post-marked by May 17) – $15
- Registration after May 17/race day – $20
- No t-shirt option – Always $6
Registration includes: dry-fit short-sleeve t-shirt, bottle of water, granola bar and 3.1 miles of fun!
Pre-registration will qualify you for a chance to win door prizes donated from our sponsors.
Registration form can be printed off and sent in to the address below with cash or check.
Make check/money order payable to CRFD Memorial 5K.
Attn: Nick Miller
1010 First St. NW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52405