The first CRFD Memorial 5K was held in 2001 following the on-duty death of Administrative District Chief Kevin Sterenchuk, who passed away in 1999 from sudden cardiac death. An avid runner, Chief Sterenchuk often competed in 5K races and was an instrumental chief for our department. In 1998, Chief Sterenchuk helped form the Special Operations program at the Cedar Rapids Fire Department.
At the time of his death, no program was in place to assist families of fallen firefighters. A team consisting of then Captain Dan Dall and Firefighter Rick Halleran decided to honor the memory and life of Chief Sterenchuk by creating a race that would raise funds to be used for the families of professional firefighters who have died throughout the state of Iowa. This race became even more important following the death of Firefighter Joe Brackel who succumbed to an aggressive form of lung cancer at the age of 24. In less than a decade, the race grew from 100 entrants in 2001 to more than 500 in 2016. Now under the direction of firefighter Jason Aarhus, and has become a Memorial Day tradition in Cedar Rapids.
The 18th Annual CRFD Memorial Race will be held on Saturday, May 26 at College Community Schools’ Prairie Hill Elementary School. This 5K Race/Walk is a great event which had more than 500 participants last year. Proceeds from this event help fallen and sick firefighters throughout the state. You can
register online or day of the race. For more information about the race, please contact Jason Aarhus at
319-286-5200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
18th Annual CRFD Memorial 5K Run/Walk Details
When: Saturday, May 26, beginning at 8:30AM
Where: College Community Campus (Prairie Hill Elementary School), 401 76th Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
(Night-Before Packet Pickup available Friday, May 25 from
6-8 PM at CR Central Fire Station lobby. Access is off
8th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave. SE.)
- Registration and Packet pick-up: 7–8:15AM
- Start of Wheelchair Race: 8:25AM
- Start of 5K Run/Walk: 8:30AM
- Jr. Firefighter Half Mile Fun Run: 9:30AM
- Awards will immediately follow the Fun Run
Cedar Rapids Fire Department
Race Director – Jason Aarhus
713 1st Ave SE, Cedar Rapids, IA, 52401
* Race will be run rain or shine with no refunds available. In the event severe weather occurs after the start of the race, it is up to the runner’s discretion whether or not to continue. By registering for this race, you are assumed to be of good health. By participating in this race, you understand the risks inherent in any athletic event and are deemed to assume those risks. By participating in this race, you agree to hold the City of Cedar Rapids and its employees, the College Community School District and its employees, and all event sponsors and volunteers harmless for any injuries or damages arising out of this event.
(No refunds – t-shirts are NOT guaranteed after May 19)
- Pre-registration (post-marked by May 19) – $20
- Registration after May 19/race day – $25
- No t-shirt option – Always $15
Registration includes: dry-fit short-sleeve t-shirt, bottle of water, granola bar and 3.1 miles of fun!
Pre-registration will qualify you for a chance to win door prizes donated from our sponsors.
Registration is online or day of the race
17th Annual CRFD Memorial 5K Run/Walk Results
2017 Results – 5K
2017 Wheelchair 5K
Previous CRFD Memorial 5K Run/Walk Results