The first CRFD Memorial 5K was held in 2001 following the on-duty death of Administrative District Chief Kevin Sterenchuk, who passed away in 1999 from sudden cardiac death. An avid runner, Chief Sterenchuk often competed in 5K races and was an instrumental chief for our department. At the time of his death, no program was in place to assist families of fallen firefighters. A team of firefighters decided to honor the memory and life of Chief Sterenchuk by creating a race that would raise funds for families of professional firefighters who have died in Iowa. This race became even more important following the death of Firefighter Joe Brackel who succumbed to lung cancer at the age of 24. The race is now a Memorial Day weekend tradition, and continues to grow. Proceeds from this event help fallen and sick firefighters and their families throughout the state.
Memorial 5K Run/Walk
The 20th Annual CRFD Memorial Race will be held on Saturday, May 23 at College Community Schools’ Prairie Hill Elementary School. This 5K Race/Walk is a great event which had more than 500 participants last year. Proceeds from this event help fallen and sick firefighters throughout the state. You can
register online or day of the race. For more information about the race, please contact Jason Aarhus at
319-286-5200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
20th Annual CRFD Memorial 5K Run/Walk Details
When: Saturday, May 23, beginning at 8:30AM
Where: College Community Campus (Prairie Hill Elementary School), 401 76th Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
(Night-Before Packet Pickup available Friday, May 22 from
6:30-8:30 PM at CR Central Fire Station lobby. Access is off
8th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave. SE.)
- Registration and Packet pick-up: 7:00–8:00AM
- Start of Wheelchair Race: 8:25AM
- Start of 5K Run/Walk: 8:30AM
- Jr. Firefighter Half Mile Fun Run: 9:45AM
- Awards will immediately follow the Fun Run
Cedar Rapids Fire Department
Race Director – Jason Aarhus
713 1st Ave SE, Cedar Rapids, IA, 52401
* Race will be run rain or shine with no refunds available. In the event severe weather occurs after the start of the race, it is up to the runner’s discretion whether or not to continue. By registering for this race, you are assumed to be of good health. By participating in this race, you understand the risks inherent in any athletic event and are deemed to assume those risks. By participating in this race, you agree to hold the City of Cedar Rapids and its employees, the College Community School District and its employees, and all event sponsors and volunteers harmless for any injuries or damages arising out of this event.
(No refunds – t-shirts are NOT guaranteed after May 19)
- Pre-registration (post-marked by May 19) – $20
- Registration after May 19/race day – $25
- No t-shirt option – Always $15
Registration includes: dry-fit short-sleeve t-shirt, bottle of water, granola bar and 3.1 miles of fun!
Pre-registration will qualify you for a chance to win door prizes donated from our sponsors.
Registration is online or day of the race
- Overall Male & Female – Kevin Sterenchuck Memorial Trophy
- Overall Male & Female Master (Over 40 years of age)
- Overall Male & Female Wheelchair
- 1st, 2nd & 3rd Emergency Services Teams
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd for each age group
If not present for awards, awards may be mailed by request only.